When buying the best chainsaw under 200 dollars, the word “cheap” does not really come to mind. We usually picture a product that is big, heavy, and expensive. However, that is not always the case. With the arrival of modern technology, the line between quality and cost is becoming thinner every day.
And that’s why we have compiled a list of top 7 best chainsaws under 200 that are ideal for beginner or frequent users. There are some compromises that you must make to be fully happy with the product.
If you keep your expectations in check, you should be able to find the right tool. With a budget of just 200 dollars, you can find a device that does the job and comes with a decent amount of safety features.
In this article, we will take a look at the best budget chainsaws that are under 200 dollars and also discuss what to look for when you are shopping for this tool with a small budget.
Quick View: What Is The Best Budget Chainsaw To Buy?
- Best overall: DEWALT DCCS620P1 Chainsaw – “Super effective for construction and outdoor”
- Best value chainsaw: Greenworks G-MAX 40V Cordless Chainsaw – ” Supper design, Ultralight and heavy-duty battery-powered value chainsaw”
- Best gas chainsaw under 200: Remington 41AY4218983 RM4218CS 42cc Gas Powered Chainsaw” – “42cc full crank 2 cycle engine provides tremendous power and less vibration”
- Best cheap chainsaw: Oregon CS1500 Corded Electric Chainsaw – “Best inexpensive chainsaw with the most lightweight design”
- Best affordable chainsaw: WORX WG304.1 Chain Saw – “Low cost, powerful and best budget-friendly chainsaw”
Budget Chainsaw Comparison Table
Our Top 7 Best Chainsaw Under 200 Dollars
Finding the best chainsaw in the market can be a daunting task. It gets even more complicated when your budget limits you. But thankfully, more and more companies are giving their attention to the low budget consumers.
That is why it is possible to find a suitable product on a small budget. Here are our picks for the top seven best budget chainsaws that are under 200 dollars that you can find on the market.
1. DEWALT DCCS620P1 20V MAX Brushless Compact Cordless Chainsaw – Top Pick
- Low kick back 12" Oregon Bar and chain: for construction and outdoor cutting applications
- HIGH EFFICIENCY BRUSHLESS MOTOR: maximizes run time and motor life
- Tool free chain tensioning and Bar tightening knob: for proper Bar clamping force
- Compact and lightweight design: Only 8.8 lbs. for maximum user control and comfort
- Part of the 20V max system of tools
Starting our list, we have a popular product from a famous brand. When you want to buy a high-quality power tool, you cannot go wrong with Dewalt. This brushless compact chainsaw is everything you need to get started on your project on a budget. It also comes with a brushless motor, which is a welcome surprise.
This is the best chainsaw under 200 dollars that features a low kickback bar and chain, which makes it perfect for any beginner. The chain of 12-inch length is highly adept at small to medium cutting projects. It comes with a chain tensioning system that is adjustable without tools. You can adjust the tension of the chain to your liking on the go.
With a speed of 25.2 feet per second, the chain in the unit delivers clean and precise cuts. The brushless motor on the machine further adds to the high performance. Additionally, the compact design of the unit makes cutting smooth and effortless.
Because of the cordless design of the power tool, it is a perfect candidate for outdoor use. The 20V lithium-ion battery is capable of long uptime without needing to recharge. Add that with the lightweight of only 9 pounds, and you have a highly affordable power tool without compromising on the quality.
- Lightweight and compact
- Brushless motor
- Amazing lithium-ion batteries
- Flexible and versatile unit
- Not suitable for heavy-duty applications
2. BLACK+DECKER LCS1020 20V Max Lithium-Ion Chainsaw – Our Runner Up
- 20V MAX lithium battery for long run-time and long life- stays charged up to 5x longer
- 10" premium Oregon low kickback bar & chain
- Compatible with 20V max outdoor and power tools
- Lithium ion Battery - lightweight, long life, and no memory effect
Black and Decker are a reliable brand when it comes to making power tools. They make convenient products that can support various attachments to make it easy for the user. You can switch up the attachments to get different tools quickly and at an affordable price point.
Featuring an Oregon chain and bar of 10-inch length, you can safely rely on this device to handle most cutting jobs with ease. The smaller chain length allows the unit to have a very low kickback. If you know how to handle basic tools, this device should be easy to operate.
This unit also features a tool-free adjustable chain tension system that allows you to set it up according to your specifications. Due to the compact shape and size of the device, using it is a joy to any user. However, one thing to note is that it does not come with automatic chain lubrication.
Another fantastic feature of the unit is its tremendous battery life. With one charge, you can rely on the model to finish the job you started without having to recharge midway through working.
- Compact shape and size
- Perfect saw for pruning
- Good battery life
- Highly adjustable unit
- No automatic chain oiling
3. Greenworks 16-Inch 40V Cordless Chainsaw – Best Value
- Our Greenworks Brushless motor provides your Greenworks tool with longer run-time, more torque and more power. This leads to less wear and tear, extending the life-time of the tool
- Compatible with Greenworks G-MAX 40V Li-Ion system offering a range of tools to Choose from.Avoid using solvents when cleaning plastic part
- Brushless motor delivers up to 30% more torque for the greatest cutting performance; oil tank: translucent
- Brushless motor design offers up to 70% less vibration for user comfort while working. One battery powers more than 25 tools. Battery capacity
- Chain brake and low kickback chain for increased user safety. Electronic chain brake prevents from accidental kick-backs.Saw Pitch:0.375 inches
To take your cutting jobs to the next level, this 40V chainsaw from Greenworks is just the thing to get. Featuring amazing qualities and power that you cannot find in other cordless units; this machine is truly a beast. If you want a safe chainsaw that does not compromise on power, this device is worth a consideration.
Most cordless chainsaws come with a 14-inch bar and chain at best. However, this unit took it a step further by adding a 16-inch Oregon chain and bar that makes it capable of taking on bigger limbs and cutting jobs. Add that with the strong brushless motor, this could be your go-to chainsaw for any project.
The device comes with all the safety features you could expect from a modern chainsaw like handguard, emergency brake, trigger release. Furthermore, powering is also quick. It comes with a smart off feature that turns the power off if the chainsaw is not in use for a minute.
The chainsaw also features an automatic oiling system that is convenient when you are working. Two dials on the side of the device allow you to adjust the tension of the chain or remove it if needed. The unit has a good battery life and can serve you around 2-3 hours with a single charge.
- 16-inch chain and bar
- Brushless motor engine
- Amazing safety features
- Low noise
- Chain oil can leak from the holder
4. Oregon CS1500 18 in. 15 Amp Corded Electric Chainsaw – Best Cheap Chainsaw
- Includes 18” guide bar and PowerSharp chain, which minimizes downtime by allowing you to sharpen your chain right on the saw in 3 seconds or less.
- Get to work right away with the instant start capability
- The chain stays oiled using the built-in Lubri-Tec oiling system which reduces chain friction and increases the saw’s run time
- No assembly required; comes pre-assembled
- Low noise, silent between cuts. Chain brake for added safety
Oregon is a company that specializes in manufacturing innovative and industry-leading chainsaws. The CS1500 is their go at the low budget consumer market. Although aimed towards budget users, you will not find any lacking in the device that could tarnish the brand name.
This device comes with an 18-inch low kickback bar size. Its innovative self-sharpening system, “Power Sharp” is capable of keeping the chain primed and ready to go. Featuring 15 amps of power; this beastly machine can handle any task you throw at it.
This versatile corded chainsaw is quite lightweight, even though it comes with a large bar and a powerful motor. Another thing that users find appealing is the considerably low noise that it produces. It also features a chain brake system to add to the safety of the user.
- Trademark “Power Sharp” system
- Powerful motor and large bar
- Lightweight and ergonomic design
- Low noise
- Power cord may sometimes feel too short
5. Makita XCU03Z 18V X2 (36V) LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Chainsaw
- Makita-built outer rotor BL Brushless motor direct-drive system provides high power efficiency Equivalent to 32cc gas chain saw
- Variable speed trigger (0-3, 940 FPM) For easy operation
- Built-in L.E.D. On/off switch with auto power-off function; automatically shuts the saw off when operation is delayed for extended Battery life
- Two 18V LXT Lithium-Ion batteries deliver power and performance without leaving the 18V LXT platform (batteries not included)
- Built-in lock-off lever helps prevent the blade from accidentally engaging
Makita makes high-end cordless tools that have survived the test of time. To any DIY lover, the brand is not unknown. This device by the company is for those who prefer the power and efficiency of a gas chainsaw but do not want to give up the comfort of a lightweight cordless unit.
The unit features an outer rotor with a brushless motor that can perform on par with gas-powered chainsaws. With a direct drive system incorporated in the device, the power of the unit is equivalent to 32 ccs. It comes with a chain length of 14-inch with three variable speed settings that allows a lot of flexibility to the user.
Additionally, the device features a lock-off lever that helps accidental engaging. The dual 18v battery provided with the unit offers plenty of runtime for long sessions. Furthermore, this tool comes with a convenient LED built-in so that you can operate in low light conditions.
- Compact and ergonomic design
- Built-in LED work light
- Powerful brushless motor
- Replaceable chain length
- Turns off automatically after 5 seconds which can get frustrating.
6. WORX WG304.1 Chain Saw 18-Inch 4 15.0 Amp – Best For The Money
- 15.0 Amp motor output delivers a more powerful cutting performance to the extended, 18 inch bar
- Patented auto tension chain system prevents over tightening; stays at the right tension for hundreds of uses
- Low kick back bar and built in chain brake for added safety; Chain Links : 63
- Automatic oil lubrication and built in oil reservoir with window level indicator; Oil tank capacity : 200 milliliter
- Comes fully assembled right out of the box, and includes 3 year manufacturer’s warranty
If you are looking for a saw that takes care of all your chores in the backyard like clearing bush or trimming hedges, you found the right device. This powerful unit is capable of handling delicate tasks with precision and can also give you enough power to take on bigger projects.
The first feature you will notice in the unit is the powerful 15-amp motor in this affordable unit. You will be hard-pressed trying to find this much power in a budget device. The 18-inch bar length allows you to reach deep into the branch and cut it in one swoop.
It comes with a built-in oil delivery system to keep the chain running smoothly for days. Additionally, the chain tension system is made to keep the chain resist over-tightening. All these features make the device comfortable to use and also quite safe for new users.
Despite the large chain size, the device is quite lightweight. The addition of a full wrap handle further adds to the ergonomic design of the unit, making it highly convenient for the consumer. It also features a safety brake in case of an emergency to prevent accidents.
- Ergonomic design
- Large chain and bar length
- Powerful motor
- Well-designed tension system
- Consumes a lot of chain oil
7. Sun Joe SWJ599E 14-inch 9-Amp Tree Limb Master Electric Handheld Chainsaw
- Versatile: ideal for trimming and pruning limbs and branches
- Safety switch: protects against accidental starts
- Auto-oiler: automatic oiler with window to gauge Oil level lubricates the Bar and chain for continuous cutting
Reputed as a brand for the little guys, the name of Sun Joe needs no introduction. Their 14-inch chainsaw is a staple of how you can find a well-made product with an affordable budget if you know where to look. This little monster is capable of delivering high-performance despite the reasonable price.
The unit features 9 amp of power that can work continuously and efficiently as long as you have it connected to an electric source. The reasonable chain length of 14-inch is capable of handling most tasks you throw at it. It also features an auto oiler system to keep the chain running smoothly.
You can also find enough safety features in the unit like handguards, or lock-off buttons to keep you risk-free. It comes with a fast start feature that allows the device to turn on instantly when engaged. Since it is an electrical saw, you do not need to give any additional thoughts to maintenance.
- Highly affordable price
- Powerful motor
- Plenty of safety features
- Easy maintenance
- Durability is questionable
What to Look for In A Budget Chainsaw?
As we said before, you cannot expect a budget chainsaw to be able to compete with state-of-the-art machines. With big bucks comes better products, and you need to make your peace with that. But that does not mean that you cannot find a reliable device in your budget.
When you think about budget chainsaws, usually you would think of cheap, inexpensive stuff that will wear out after easily. That’s not the case. 200 dollars is a lot of money. Now, I know you won’t be able to get your hands on the high-end models.
But you don’t really need to. The products featured here will give you the most value for your money in terms of raw performance and lifespan. You are not missing out on any key features.
However, you need to be picky when shopping in a budget. Be critical of the different components, and you can form a clear idea about the capability of a product. To get the most cut for your buck, you need to understand what your exact purpose is. Only then you can compare that with the ability of the chainsaw.
Quality to Cost Ratio
You must understand the relationship between quality and cost if you are shopping on a budget. Just because a product is inexpensive does not mean it is of poor quality. If you have a good knowledge of the product, you can find a good one with any given price point.
Try to go for trusted manufacturers when your budget is low. It is generally a good idea to avoid unknown brands as you have no proof of quality. Many high-grade companies make budget models to help customers who cannot afford expensive devices.
Types of Chainsaw
Chainsaws can be divided into three distinct categories depending on their power usage and mode of operation. If you want the best chainsaw under 200 dollars, you need consider their types.
They are Gas-powered chainsaw, Corded Electric chainsaw, and Cordless battery-powered chainsaw. Understanding the variants will help you decide which one you need for your project.
If power is what you want, then you cannot get better than gas-powered devices. These units are a reliable partner in heavy-duty projects and can do any job you throw at it.
You can work for an extended time with this device as long as you have fuel. You do not need to worry about the device heating up or breaking down. But there are some downsides to this mechanical beast. A gas-powered chainsaw is significantly heavy when compared to the other two variants.
You need to know what you are doing and also be quite skilled to operate a unit like this comfortably. Additionally, gas-powered units are also quite noisy and difficult to maintain.
Corded electric chainsaw:
The second type of device you can find on the market is the corded electric chainsaw. Widely recognized for its affordability, a corded electric unit comes with many advantages. It is powerful enough to handle most projects, yet you do not need to throw down a massive amount of money to get one.
The main issue with this type of unit is the electric power cord. It can be annoying to find a wall socket every time you want to power the chainsaw.
Your area of work will also have to be based around the length of the cord and its distance from the power socket. However, this unit is a good option for budget shoppers thanks to its affordability.
Cordless battery-powered chainsaw:
The final variant that you can find is the battery-powered units. Its best feature lies in its convenience, and for this reason, this type of unit gained massive popularity in the DIY market.
This device is lightweight and quite easy to use. You can take them anywhere you want as long as the battery is charged adequately. However, keep in mind that the device will not be able to match the strength of its bigger siblings.
It is not suitable for any heavy-duty tasks, and you should only use it for light jobs. What this unit lacks in power, it makes up for it through portability. This device is something you should consider if you do not plan on doing any big projects.
You need to be aware of the different aspects of a product if you have a small budget. To get the most bang for your buck, you need to be critical and skeptic. To make it a bit easier for you, here are a few things you should consider when you want to find the best chainsaw under 200 dollars.
The first thing you must consider when buying a budget chainsaw is to look at its power source. Practically speaking, you should not go for gas-powered models since you need to spend a lot on gas. It is not a very budget-friendly device. So, you need to choose between electric corded or battery-powered models.
The one you choose must be able to handle the task that you are planning to do. Check the spec sheet of the product, and you should be able to get an idea of the capability of the device.
Typically, the corded tool will be a bit more powerful compared to battery-powered units. But for lightweight tasks, nothing is better than a portable battery-operated chainsaw.
The chain speed of the chainsaw determines its ability to cut and also its precision. A faster chain is not always better, and control is an essential factor to consider.
The quicker the chain, the faster the cut, but it also takes some control away from your hand. If you are a beginner, you should not go for a high-speed saw.
There are some models that come with a variable speed setting. These models feature a control knob to change the speed parameter that allows you to fine-tune the device according to your needs. You have the option to decide between speed or control with variable speed settings.
The tooth of the chainsaw is where the primary cutting takes place. There are four types of chains that have specific purposes.
This type of chain comes with square teeth and is the most common form found in chainsaws. It is suitable to work with wood fibers and can cut through wood with no effort.
Next, we have the semi-chisel chains with rounded teeth. This type of chain is better when you are dealing with a harder type of wood, although they take a bit longer to cut when compared to full-chisel chains.
Low-profile chains come with short teeth and also feature safety spacers between them. Devices with this type of chain are perfect for beginners who do not have a lot of experience. It is best for people who are learning to use a chainsaw.
Do not overlook the safety aspects when you are on a budget. A chainsaw is a dangerous tool in the untrained hand, and so you should go for all the safety you can get. Make sure that the device comes with a chain brake. Also, check the kickback in the unit to see if there is any risk of accidents while using it.
To get the most out of your chainsaw, you should spend some time looking at some of its additional features. Sometimes, you can find devices that can mount different accessories like a milling mount or even feature a convenient work light. These are small additions that add value to your purchase.
Safety tips when using a chainsaw
Working with a chainsaw should never be taken likely. You should make sure to take all the safety precautions so that there is no risk of injuries to yourself or anyone in your surroundings.
First and foremost, wear safety goggles. When you are cutting with a chainsaw, wood splints can fly out and hit your eye. It is of utmost importance that your eyes are well-protected.
Wearing a helmet protects the upper part of your head in case a branch falls on top of you. Additionally, the kickback from your chainsaw can result in the device flying towards your head. You should always wear a helmet when handling any power tool.
Noise-canceling headphones can help reduce the pressure on your ear when working with a chainsaw. It can get deafening when in use, and for this reason, your ears need to be protected.
Safety gloves come with grips to give you a better hold on the device. Using gloves will make sure you do not drop the machine and cause an accident.
Long sleeves shirts protect your arms from wood splints that fly off when cutting wood. Make sure to wear one when operating a chainsaw.
Chaps protect the lower part of your body. Wearing a thick chainsaw chap will make sure your legs and lower body parts are well-protected.
Boots allow you to get a firm hold on the ground. A device like a chainsaw will cause a lot of jitters, and without a good pair of boots, you will feel the strain of holding it. Try to find shock-absorbing boots with strong grips to have a better experience when working with a chainsaw.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is 200 dollars viable for a good chainsaw?
It depends entirely on your intended purpose. You can find a good chainsaw for lightweight jobs in this price range. However, if you want a powerful gas-powered chainsaw, you need a bigger budget.
What should be the chain size in my chainsaw?
The size of the chain depends on the size of the wood you are cutting. Generally speaking, the chain size should be 2 inches longer than that of the wood. If you are dealing with trees larger than the saw, you can make two passes with the device.
Is a bigger bar size better for a chainsaw?
Not always. With a bigger bar size, you can take on heavier tasks. However, it gets increasingly difficult to handle the saw. You must understand your needs when deciding on the bar length.
A chainsaw is a versatile tool that can handle a lot of things in the right hands. It does not come cheap always but with proper knowledge, you can bag a product of decent quality.
We hope this extensive guide and review of products was helpful and informative. After going through our selection, you should be able to buy the best chainsaw under 200 dollars for your DIY needs.
Relevant Pages :
- How to replace the chainsaw chain? – Read our guide
- How to untangle a chainsaw chain? – Explained in detail
- Secret chainsaw tips and tricks for beginners
This is me Sonnet. I manage a full-time workshop for my clients’ woodworking projects. From a very young age, I’ve been always passionate about DIY projects. And that’s the reason I’m amicable with the woodworking tools. I’m regularly handling a couple of projects like cabinets, furniture, boats, and many more using wood, veneers, and laminates.